It’s sometimes difficult to decide how much to bid. You want to outbid other bidders and make a good deal. But what is the right amount to bid?
For many vehicles we can provide an estimation of what would be a good price in the eyes of the seller. Especially for the most popular makes and models. After all, we watch cars being auctioned day in, day out. And we are all too happy to give an estimate to help you out.You can find the estimated price on the vehicle detail page, near the bid button.
Off course, it’s then still up to the seller to accept your bid. But this little push in the right direction may significantly improve your chances of assignment.
STEP 1: Log in and go to the car detail page of the vehicle you want to place a bid on.
STEP 2: Enter your bid Type in the amount or use the + / - button. You cannot place a bid lower than the starting price or the current highest bid.
STEP 3: Choose your bidding method:
• Maximum bid or direct bid You place a bid of € X, and that bid is immediately shown on the website. For your convenience, we recommend to place maximum bids immediately from the „MY BIDS” tab, visible only after login.
• Stepwise bid or bid agent (selected by default) You enter the maximum amount that you are willing to bid for a vehicle. However, this is not the amount that will appear on the website. The bid agent will only bid the lowest amount possible to surpass the previous bid. And, it will keep doing this until your maximum amount is reached.
STEP 4: Submit your bid by clicking the „SUBMIT” button
Remember: all bids are binding and cannot be cancelled or removed from the website.
STEP 5: Place your best and final bid with Ultimo.
STEP 6: Follow up on bids using browser notifications or notifications on your smartphone via our mobile app.
Here are some special tips you can keep an eye out for:
1. Learn how to efficiently place and manage your bids
In the movie below, we show you how to place and manage bids from the "My Bids" application. You find out about all the advantages of placing bids from here.
2. Use Ultimo
If you are the winner of an auction, you immediately get 5 additional minutes to give your best and final offer, in order to increase your assignment chances dramatically.
If you hold the highest bid at the end of an auction, you will receive a notification by e-mail and/or in your browser. Apart from notifying you that you have won the auction, this notification will contain a one-time invitation to put in your best and final bid. By clicking on the link, you will be directed to the Car Detail page of the relevant vehicle.
The interface is exactly the same as during the auction. Type in your final bid and click the „Submit” button. After clicking this button, the auction will be closed. It is important to note that every bid is binding, also a bid submitted during the Ultimo phase.
3. Download our mobile app
The CarsOnTheWeb mobile app allows you to manage your bids, find cars and remain informed about the most important auction events.
You’ll need to download the application from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play Store (Android).
Start up the app and log in using your CarsOnTheWeb user name and password. The app will remember your login details for 6 months, so don’t forget to change your password should your smartphone get lost or stolen.
4. Activate browser notifications
With an overload of e-mails already piling up in your inbox, we needed a way to inform you quicker and more effectively on what is happening in our auctions. For some auction events, you want to be able to act immediately, such as when you are overbid or when an x-Time is starting. We have therefore introduced browser notifications.
Browser notifications are messages in your browser that appear in the bottom right corner of your screen. These messages will also appear outside of the CarsOnTheWeb environment, when you are not logged in or when you are surfing on other websites.
We currently have 3 events for which you can activate browser notifications:
• When you have been overbid on a car you are bidding on;
• When the x-Time phase is starting for a car you are bidding on or following;
• When a car you are bidding on or following has reached the Estimated Price.
5. Guarenteed assignment
• 100% assignment: If your bid is high enough to win an auction, it’s high enough for the seller too. They will assign the vehicle to you after the auction concludes.
• Buy Now auctions: You can avoid the whole bidding process by being the first to enter the Buy Now price. The vehicle will be assigned to you when the auction concludes.
• Target auctions: If your winning bid is at least as high as the target price, you’ll be assigned the vehicle at the end of the auction.
• x-Time auctions: Worried about auction snipers? They’re the people who wait until the last moment to suddenly out-bid you. No need, because during x-Time you will get your chance to put your best bid in.
Learn more about the different types of auctions.
Still have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us.